Estee Lauder’s BB Cream – A Dewy Alternative to Double Wear Foundation
Estee Lauder’s iconic Double Wear foundation has long been on and off my make up wish list. It’s raved about by pretty much everyone and anyone. But, for me, my love for light, natural, glowy finishes somehow has always swayed me away from investing in the Double Wear foundation, considering that Double Wear has a strong, high coverage. I love the sound of the longeivity on the skin, but the coverage always seemed a bit too much for me.
A couple of weeks ago I was browsing the aisles in Sephora Dubai mall when I saw the Double Wear All-Day Glow BB Cream. 2 words, ‘glow’ and ‘bb cream’. I thought hoorah, something light and glowy, result.
Estee Lauder describe the BB cream as a; “Long lasting, oil-free, lightweight formula”.
There are 8 shades in the range and it contains SPF 30, another plus point.
Now my thoughts, lets start with the pros.
- The packaging is super sleek, it comes in a slim plastic tubing with a tiny hole to release the product so just the right amount comes out.
- A little totally goes a long way, I literally use a pea size amount for my whole face and I find it still covers any discolourations or rosacea really well.
- This really is a super long-lasting product, I use it once in the morning (most the time without any powder) and don’t need to top up at all during the day. That’s saying something considering it’s currentlty 42 degrees centigrade outside in the Dubai summer!
- The main con for me is that I still find the product way too ‘cakey’. It doesn’t spread over my face as well as other BB creams (or even foundations) do and I find it dries within seconds making application all over the face really difficult.
- Once on, I don’t feel it gives me the ‘glowy’ look promised on the packaging and descriptions so I think my gut instinct and thoughts on the Double Wear foundation still apply with the BB cream. I would actually lean towards calling this a foundation rather than a BB cream at all. When I think of a BB cream consistency, I instantly think emoliants and softness, this one’s just too mattifying / drying on the skin for me.
- Despite a tiny amount going a long way, the product is pricey. Of course it’s a luxury brand so you shouldn’t be expecting cheap price points. The BB cream currently retails for $38 USD for 1oz, that’s about £26 / AED 150.
I’ll probably continue to use this product (I hate waste..) but had I known what I know now, I probably wouldn’t have bought it in the first place. Sorry Double Wear fans! It works well sparingly on hot, sweaty days if I make sure my skin is super moisturized underneath to avoid any thick make up looks or dry patches appearing.
Have you tried the Double Wear BB Cream? What do you think, give it a second chance?
Love, Anisha xox0